SatProf was founded by satellite ground system engineering industry veterans to meet the need for accessible training for satellite communications technical professionals. For a list of papers and patents we have authored, please see the Technical Resources page.
Ralph Brooker, President
M.S.E.E and B.S.E.E., University of Illinois, 1981.
- Andrew Corp. Principal Engineer, Systems; Director, Satellite Network Engineering; Director, Earth Station Product Line; Director, RF Design Center. 1992-2004.
- Microsource, Inc. Manager, Manufacturing and Test; Senior Design Engineer. 1989-1992.
- Amplica Inc. Manager, CAD/CAM Engineering. 1986-1989.
- Comsat Laboratories. Member of Technical Staff; Group Leader, Advanced Microwave Product Development. 1981-1986.
- Wrote simulators for nonlinear memoryless distortion simulators in VBA and Matlab, measuring effect of arbitrary distortion (e.g. NPR MC-IMD) on arbitrary signal sets (e.g. multicarrier QPSK).
- Developed a new 12-parameter model to characterize TWTA distortion
- Created a new technique for determining AM-AM/AM-PM characteristics using pulse spectral measurements
- Crafted RF detailed architecture of Ka-band multicarrier burst gateway in coordination with customer’s system engineering staff
- Analyzed traffic type efficiency for various VSAT access architectures, including mesh TDMA, TDM/TDMA and SCPC/DAMA.
- Created new Multipoint Frame Relay integrated satellite terminal and easily-deployed embedded-Linux SCPC terminal product families
- Rationalized a satellite antenna product family against market demand, production capabilities, and engineering resources.
- Modeled antenna surface accuracy repeatability and its relationship to performance parameters
- Coordinated the industry standard procedure for earth station type approvals (Global VSAT Forum)
- Trained manufacturing staff in Total Quality Management and developed a production and test scheme for low-volume microwave hardware oriented around Just-In-Time and TQM concepts
- Chair, Mutual Recognition Arrangement Working Group, Global VSAT Forum (1999-2004).
- Technical representative to WiMax Forum for Andrew Corp. (2003-2004).
- Co-wrote the satellite antenna standard appendix of ETSI TS 101 136.
- Method and System for Compensating for Atmospheric Fading in a Communications System, U.S. Patent 6,813,476.
- Self-Pointing Antenna Scanning, U.S. Patent 6,943,750.
- Precision Adjustment Antenna Mount And Alignment Method, US Patent 7,046,210
- R. L. Brooker, “Spectral-Null Pulse Waveform for Characterizing Gain and Phase Distortion in Devices with Uncorrelated Frequency Translation or Limited CW Power Capability,” 63rd ARFTG Conf. Dig., pp. 7-11, June 2004. Paper (PDF)
- Ralph Brooker and Donald Jackson, “Techniques for Predicting Nonlinear Distortion in Ka-band Gateways,” 10th Ka and Broadband Communications Conference, Vicenza, Italy, September 2004. Paper (PDF) Presentation (PDF)
- Ralph Brooker, “Satellite Industry Initiatives in Uplink Earth Station Quality, ” RFI Forum, Washington, D.C., March 2003. Presentation (PDF)
- R.L. Brooker, “Universal type approvals for Ka-band ground equipment,” Space Communications 18 (2002) 13-16. Presented at the 7th Ka Band Utilization Conference, Santa Margherita, Italy, September 2001. Paper (PDF) Presentation (PDF)
- Ralph Brooker and Dan Vorderbrueggen, “Antenna Pointing Accuracy Impact on Geostationary Satellite Link Quality and Interference,” 23rd AIAA International Communications Satellite Systems and 11th Ka and Broadband Communications Joint Conference, Rome, Italy, 2005. Paper (PDF).
Read less …
Pete Zilliox, Vice President
He has been with Hughes Aircraft Company (now Boeing Space and Comm), Collins Radio (now Rockwell International/Alcatel), Dalsat, Zilliox & Associates, and Andrew Corporation. In 1978 he founded Dalsat, Inc, a small manufacturer and systems integrator. From 1988 to 1997, and again in 2005, he managed the small, highly specialized engineering staff at Zilliox & Associates, whose clients have included major telecommunications companies, satellite equipment manufacturers, and specialized satellite service providers. He received an M.S.E.E. from USC in 1973. Read more …
- B.S.E.E. Pennsylvania State University, 1973; M.S.E.E. University of Southern California, 1976;
- advanced graduate course work at University of Texas, Dallas, 1990 -1991
- Thirty two year business management and technical reputation within the Satellite Communications Industry
- Broad industry experience that includes spacecraft flight hardware engineering, ground communications equipment (GCE) design and manufacturing, earth station system design, end-to-end system design, system field installation, integration, and test (II&T), and profit and loss business management.
- Founded Dalsat, Inc., a small manufacturing and systems Company, in 1978.
- 1981 “INC. Magazine” 500 Fastest Growing Companies
- Founded Zilliox and Associates in 1988, operated to 1997 and again 2005-present. This engineering consulting firm consisted of a small, highly specialized engineering staff. Clients included major telecommunications companies, satellite equipment manufacturers, and specialized satellite service providers.
- Satellite Earth Station System Engineering
- Prepare RFPs for Turnkey Earth Station Procurement
- Evaluate Turnkey Proposals for Satellite Earth Terminals
- Prepare Proposals for Satellite Earth Terminals
- Prepare GCE (Ground Comm Equip) Hardware Design and/or Procurement Specifications
- Prepare/Witness/Perform GCE Test Procedures
- Prepare Satellite System Hardware and Propagation Availability Analysis
- Prepare end-to-end link budget designs and trade-off studies
- Prepare parametric distortion analysis for uplink and downlink signal path chains
- Research and Analysis
- Prepare Technical White Papers
- Market Research and Reports
- Competitive Analysis
- Provide guidance for Product Development Road Maps
- Provide guidance for Business Plan Development
- Technical and Sales Support
- Meet directly with Customers present solutions and/or determine Customer needs
- Coach and Train Sales Personnel
- Provide specialized training to Client’s Engineering Staff
- Provide on-site Sales Technical Support for proposal presentations
- Field Support
- On-Site Testing and Troubleshooting
- Site Survey and Site Design
Read less …
Greg Selzer, Account Manager for Online Learning
At SatProf, he manages customer relationships, student administration, and supports technical training development.
Mr. Selzer received a B.S.E.E. degree from Southern Methodist University in 1992.
Aki Sharipov, Senior Learning System Developer